Saturday, December 8, 2012

A mission journey to Kenya Nairobi (Dec. 4-10, 2012) Part I




I. Thank you Sir!

Per Dr. Abraham's request, I attended the Wedding ceremony in Kenya Nairobi. The wedding was between Brother Otieno Nickson and Sister Lucy Ongele. Otieno graduated from the University of Nairobi last year, and is now working for governmental projects concerning national geography. The bride is a medical doctor. She is going through a residency program.

At first I arranged the flight leaving LAX arriving in Nairobi on Dec. 7, but Missionary Mark Yoon asked me to arrive at least a couple of days early. So I changed the flight schedule and arrived there close to midnight of Dec. 5, 2012.

As I was going through one official assisting on "on-srrival visa" approached me and asked for money. I said, "I am a pastor, and I came here to pray for this nation." Then he said, "Oh, thank you." And he let me go. Then a custom official stopped me and asked me what I have in my travel bag. I said, "A few gifts." He said what are they? I said, "I am a pastor, and I came here to bless a couple who are getting married." Then he said, "Oh, I see. You want to pray for them that they would not divorce but live long, right?" I said, "You are exactly right." Then he said, "Thank you sir" and let me go.

At the airport, shepherds, brother Otieno, Missionary Joshua, Missionary Mark Yoon and his wife Jacky greeted me.

There are two other guests attending the wedding from overseas countries: Barnabas Kim of Chongno UBF I, and Albert from Kenya UBF.

Banabas is the husband of Shinwha Lee in Chongno UBF I. As I arrived here I felt at home for I am from Chongno Chapter, Mark and Jacky are from the same chapter, Barnabas is from the same chapter, Livingstone and Lydia (the shepherdess of the bride) is from the same chapter, and Joshua and his wife Pauline are from the Chongno Chapter.

II. Visitation to a park nearby

They checked me and Barnabas in at the Upperhill Country Lodge near the center.

The next morning Mark Yoon took us to a park called "Lake Naivasha" located about one and a half hours away from the city. There he ordered Barnabas to finish his life testimony so he could share it the coming Sunday. He also asked me to prepare a testimonial message based on my life story, and serve the message on Friday Dec. 7, at the Friday students meeting at the Kenya UBF center. He added that the message ought to focus on helping brother Fred Mrabu, for he graduates from the university on Dec. 7. There is a celebration party after the Friday meeting. In  Kenya graduating from college is a big thing, so friends bring gifts to celebrate for the "victory". Mark ordered me to serve a message that can motivate Fred to live as a shepherd after graduation.

That day after moments of nature walk, I prepared a testimonial message.

One british couple run the park. Reportedly they acquired a 99 year lease from the government, and developed a nature park on about 50 acres of land. They employ local people to manage and upkeep the park. A guide named "Bernard" took us to a small island. He was so skinny. He looked so weak, that I asked him, "Did you eat breakfast?" He said, "No." I said, "Why did you skip it?" It was about lunch time, so I asked, "Did you bring lunch here?" He said, "No." "Why not?" I asked. He said, "I do not have money to buy food." So I asked about his situation and learned that like every where else, the rich grind the faces of the poor such as Bernard. He has a wife and two kids. He lives in a village near the park. His boss pays him 8,000 shillings a month (about $100 U.S.) as salary. He rents a house for 1,800 Shillings a month. So after paying the rent, he has more or less $60 USD left to get by!

The next day we returned back to the Center. Because it was Friday there was a lot of traffic, and it took over three hours to come back to the city. Mark Yoon invited us to a Korean restaurant "Big Momma" for lunch. There I ordered "Potato Soup" [called Gamjatang in Korean]. It tasted far better than any gamjatang I ever tasted.

Around 4:00 p.m., Mark Yoon drove us to his rented house located near the campus. There I prepared a power point to high-light the message.

III. Friday Meeting

The Friday meeting took place at around 7:30 p.m About 50 students attended the meeting. Fred the graduating student arrived a little late. So while waiting we sang many songs with Shepherd Kevin and Sister Dareen leading the singspiration. Fred shared his graduation testimony based on Joshua 1:8. He came to UBF during the freshman year, via Kevin's invitation. He majored in economics and communication. He is now looking for a job. And I served a message entitled "Because you say so", and exhorted him to hold onto the purpose of Jesus' calling for him as a shepherd.

After the sermon, the congregation had a gift giving ceremony where Fred came out, stood up front, and each person came out to him one by one, congratulating, shaking hands, giving gifts. The spirit of loving kindness and encouragement was in the air. And every one was encouraged. Then Mark Yoon and Kevin helped Fred cut cake.

Mark Yoon made an announcement on the wedding. Then the congregation got divided into three fellowships. They shared testimonies and had an eating fellowship. I joined Kevin's fellowship. Sisters showed interest in LA UBF. Sister Shante a freshman majoring in psychology surprised me saying,"How do students in LA like us?" I said, "They pray for you for I share God's work here among you at our LA UBF webpage." She then said, "Really?"

IV Winter Sonatas

After the meeting, around 10:00 p.m. Mark Yoon and his wife took us back to the lodge. Per Mark Yoon's request I edited the english version of Barnabas' life testimony which he is going to share coming Sunday. Through reading the testimony, I realized that Barnabas is a truly romantic person. He is from a remote island called Jindo in S. Korea. He is now the chief shepherd in charge of Chong Ro UBF I. His life testimony moved my heart especially the story of how Jesus enabled him to overcome the romantic feelings associated with his first love - a girl from his grade school years, and married by faith a woman of faith (Missionary Sinhwha who by the way is the shepherdess of Hosanna Pyles and Petra Kim of LA UBF). My fellowship with him also led me to the story of one Korean drama, a TV series, entitled "Winter Sonatas". Per his recommendation, I ordered on line the full set coming in several CD's. I did it for I am not a romantic person. I think God understands pure love which we often call 'first love'. Through watching the series "Winter Sonatas" I pray to restore my first love with Jesus Christ, for I had the moments of "feeling" the 'first love" with Jesus a few months (weeks?) before I met and married my wife Rebekah. It took place inside a theatre where they showed the movie "Ben Hur". I was still a young sheep at that time. But there was a movie scene where Jesus came out and saw a crowds of people approaching. On seeing the scene (Jesus' image from behind) I was deeply moved moved that I cried uncontrollably. Rebekah also watched the movie.  Now however I hear Jesus' rebuke, "You have forsaken your first love." Rev 2:14


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: