Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Journey Report Continued (Tanzania)




January 1, 2013

Preparation for the Conference

My flight schedule was to fly out from Bucharest, to Rome via Alitalia, to Addis Ababa, to Kilimanjaro, then to Dar Es Salaam, via Ethiopia Airline. There was a close to five hours of layover period at the Rome airport, until midnight.

I spent the new year's day in the Ethiopian airline.

I arrived at Dar Es Salaam at 2:00 p.m. At the customs there was a long wait in line to get a visa. They charged $100 to U.S. citizens but $50 to non U.S. citizens.

Missionary Hanna Jung was waiting for me, sweating profusely. In the car, I said that I have a reservation at an apartment hotel at the city center, so I asked her to take me there. Then Hannah said, "That is a Muslim area. It is very dangerous." Since the reservation was subject to 'free cancellation', I accepted her choice.

Next morning, power went out. A german who checked in next room said, "In Tanzania power generation is less than 50% of demand." Around noon time, Missionary Andrew Yoon of Yabatech checked in. That afternoon, Missionary Timothy Jung came back from his overseas trip. So three of us (Andrew Yoon, Timothy, myself) went to Timothy's apartment, and started organizing the conference. Total 37 (7 women, 7 native shepherds, 3 children, and the rest Korean missionaries) registered. Peter Park of Nigeria chose not to come. Korean UBF (Chongno II) shepherds were supposed to come early to make necessary preparations but it turned out that they were unable to come early. After much discussion and many phone calls, in about three hours we were able to organize and set up: name tags, sample binder for hand-outs (program, study questions, room assignments), registration servants, post conf. tour schedule, Bible study groups, group leaders, room assignments, airport pick up plans (using two buses to be rented, one passenger car, one minivan, and one truck, operating between airport and conf. site which is one and hour driving distance).

Tomorrow at 10 a.m. along with Timothy Chung, Andrew Yoon and I will head for the conf. site as a pilot team.







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Old Bagamoyo Road,Dar es Salaam,Tanzania

No comments: