Saturday, August 16, 2014

Patterns of the mind by Lynn Harold Hough - A book recommendation


While I lived in Long Beach, as I was passing by a house, I saw a house burnt down. A man put out lots of books on the street. "What is going on?" I asked. The man said, "A fire broke out." "What do you want to do with all these books?" I further asked. "They are all free: you can take all of them, if you want", the man said. "Wow thank you", I said. A lot of them were covered with ashes. Some books were badly damaged by fire. But most of them were savable. So I loaded up as many books as the trunk of my car could hold.  All the books were related to the Christianity. Later I learned that the books the man put out on the street came from a pastor's library.

The book entitled "Patterns of the mind" by Lynn Harold Hough is one of them.

The book has five chapters:

Forward
I. The man who has no pattern
II. The man who does not know how to use a pattern
III. The man who has a false pattern
IV. The man who has an incomplete pattern
V. The Christian pattern

In an article, "Religion", the Time Magazine (August 4, 2014 Edition), reports an emergence of non belief system in the U.S. The report features Mike Aus, a former pastor, who gave up his faith. For years Aus preached at a progressive, nondenominational church in Houston, and he readily admits to having been a 'cafeteria Christian'. "I never believed in hell," he says. "Ever." He always loved going to church ..., but by the late 2000s, he left the ministry. Then in March 2012 he declared himself an atheist.

Aus' case falls into the category of the man who has an incomplete pattern, I think.  When religious leaders questioned a man about Jesus, he said, "One thing I know: I was blind, but now I see." John 9:25 At least the man who used to be blind knew one thing about Jesus: He opened his eyes! But there are many who know a lot about Jesus but in fact know not even "one" thing about Jesus for sure, so as far as faith is concerned their faith is shipwrecked, and therefore rejected. 1Ti 1:19; 2Ti 3:8

The Times report however reminds me of Jesus' warning, "[When] the son of man comes, will he see faith on the earth?" Luke 18:8.  The Apostle Paul says that before the lawless man is revealed, the falling away (or apostasy) comes first. 2 Th 2:3 (KJV)  In time of apostasy which is already here in the U.S. I recommend the book for it helps examine the solidity of one's faith in the Lord, as the Apostle Paul said to Timothy, "As for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of..." 2Ti 3:14

No comments: