Thursday, January 9, 2014

Preach the Word! 2 Tim 4:2


The African coworkers hosted The 2014 New Year conference from January 10 to 12 at Gaborone, Botswana. 

From the US Dr. Abraham Kim and his wife, Shepherd Kevin Albright of Chicago and I attended the conference. I carried in an immigration bag 50 towels with the conference title "Preach the Word" (2 Ti 4:2) printed thereon, socks, and other gifts. I also carried christmas offerings addressed to the Botswana UBF.


The total round trip hours including layover added up to 78 hours 40 muinutes (including stopover period in CDG Paris) going from LA to Paris then to Addis Abbaba to Joberg, then to Gaborone and back to LA. Airfare added up to $2,595.48.


The layover at the Charles De Gaul airport for 15 hours was extremely difficult; the weather outside the airport was windy cold and gloomy, and inside at the departure lounge was furnished with hard chairs with no possibility to lie down.

There was only 15 minute free wifi service so I bought 24 hour package for 10 Euros; the company gave me username and password but they did not work. 

I copied from the UBF Missionary Address book the phone no of Dr. Mark Choi the director of Paris UBF. But the nos were outdated. So staying inside I read Henry David Thoreau (7/12/1817 - 5/6/1862).

The vocabularies I looked up in the dictionary included: Quarry, bay (as in a dog baying the moon in farmlands), burgle, impel, rill, ditty, patter, quire, rustle, sough, hale, gad, muscarat, perchance.

Like gold or silver nuggets the book offered insights or interesting remarks/views on man, animal and nature. Below I bothered to quote a few of them as many as my two thumbs allowed me to type on my iphone.

** That ancient universe  is in such capital health I think undoubtedly it will never die. Heal yourselves, doctors; by God I live. - Then Idle time ran gadding by
And left me with eternity alone;
I hear beyond the range of sound, I see beyond the verge of sight.

** The Universe seems bankrupt as soon as we begin to discuss the character of individuals. :-). !!!

** To say that a man is your friend, means commonly no more than this, that he is not your enemy.

** A worm is as a good traveller as a grasshopper or a cricket, and a much wiser settler. With all their activity these do not hop away from drought nor forward to summer. We do not avoid evil by fleeing before it, but by rising above or diving below its plane; as the worm escapes droughts and frosts by boring a few inches deeper. The frontiers are not east or west, north or south, but wherever a man fronts a fact, though that fact be his neighbor, there is an unsettled wilderness between him and Canada between him and the setting sun, or further still between him and it. Let him build himself a log house with the barkon  where he is, fronting IT, and wage there an Old French War for seven or seventy years, with Indians and rangers, or whatever else may come between him and the reality, and save his scalp if he can.

- Why should they eat their sixty acres when man is condemned to eat only his peck of dirt? 

- The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom ---on fruits, cab be preserved only by delicat-e handling. Yet we do not treat ourselves nor one another thus tenderly.

On Friday at 7:00 pm Via Air Botswana I iarrived at the Conference site located at about 20 minutes away from the airport. Donald from the conference site greeted me with UBF sign.

Conference took place at the Kafisong Comference Center. Total 40 attended. Most of the African shepherd could not atend some due to financial reason some visa problems some for both. Timothy and Hanna Chung of Tanzania did not attend.


Friday schedule:

Opening message by Andrew Kim

Chapter reports (in a separate file)

Two group bible studies (1st on 1 Tim 1:1-20; 2nd on 1 Ti 2:1-3:16)

News/announcement - Shepherd Daniel Rhee resigned from the position - Korean UBF Representative for Africa. From this year on Moses Yoon of Chong-no UBF Seoul Korea will replace him.

I slept at room 11. I shared room with James Lee of Zimbabwe. 

Saturday January 11, 2014
Motning - 3rd group bible study (1 Ti 4:1-5:25)

Afternoon - 4th group bible study (1 Ti 6:1-21)

5th group bible study ( 2 Ti 3:14:8)



Main message by Dr. Abraham Kim "Preach the Word"  (2 Ti 4:2)

Next year new year comference will take place in Kenya Nairobi either the last weekend of 2014 or the first of 2015. The direction is to invite national leaders as well as missionaries. The language will be solely in English with Korean translation on a projector.


Sunday Morning:

I woke up at 5:00 am, came out of the cabin #11 took a deep breath. The morning air was fresh though a little chilly. 

After taking a walk around the camp I sat down on a rock to pray. 

Then I met Phillip Lee of Sudan. I listened to him. We shared prayer topics and prayed together. 

From 10:30 am we shared testimonies. (Dr Abraham and Missionary Daniel Rhee served Korean missionaries, whereas I served the testimony meeting among African shepherds)

Andreas Cortese of Cape Town was mindful of the call for the evangelism of 55 African nations by African leaders. He is father of a lovely daughter Sarah Little. He caught 2 Tim 4:2 as the New Year direction for the Capetown UBF. 

Shepherd Desmond a shepherd from WITS UBF is an engineer working at a lab of a small comapny of Joberg analyzing mineral components. He has a heart for his father and brother. His father lives 400 plus kms away. He prays to be a better witness to his family members. 

Shepherd Abijah finds himself introverted very much like Timothy, though he works as a policeman at a local police station. From next week on he, joseph kim, and joshua surh and Daniel Rhee will have a worship service separately from James Lee and shepherd Christian.

Shepherd Christian Coetsee used to live as a pleasure seeking man. The Lord had mercy on him saved him from a pleasure seeking life to the life of mission as a campus shepherd. In the past he never understood what it is to teach the Bible to college students. Now the Lord helped him understand how to carry out this mission. To live as a fruitful Bible teacher he learned that he needs to go through strict self disciple be a godly man pray and preach the Word. He works full time as a financial manager at a small company. He prays to repent of the desire for money for the sake of financial independence.

Pastor Kevin Albright has four sons and one daughter. During college days 1984 one year after his father's death he was invited to a UBF spring conference where he met Jesus or rather Jesus found him.




He repents of spending too much time searching internet for secular music. According to his new year key verse psalm 1:2 he prays to meditate on God's word and discharge his duties as a minister. 

I shared my testimony. 
2 Timothy 4:2 NIV
[2] Preach the word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage---with great patience and careful instruction.

This passage has 3 parts: what to do in general how to do what to do and areas of work that need to be done.

What to do in general
How to do
Areas of work

The Word refers to Jesus the Savior. In the book of Romans paul elaborated in detail the way of salvation that is by faith in jesus.

For this I need to be prepared. For this I got published the book of romans. I also uploaded it online in audio files. 

The Word refers to all Scriptures which in turn testify about Jesus. 

Thus far the Lord enabled me to publish 39 lectures on 39 OT books. It is my ambition to get 27 lectures on the 27 NT books in the early part of the new year.

Areas of work in preaching has three categories: correction rebuke and encouragement.

Correction: daily i need to correct myself so i would be in sync with jesus. I do not live the old life without jesus but live the new life in jesus. This is my biggest thanks topic and prayer topic. It is a thanks topic for thanks to him giving me new life I no longer had to carry old sinful self and struggle to babysit. 

It is a standing prayer topic for as the apose paul warned I can so easily lose Jesus my head. 
2 Timothy 4:5 NIV
[5] But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

Here "all" means "all". In modern term all means 24/7. 

During the conference time I lost Jesus my head for a while. Due to jet leg I felt tired. Then the title preach the word hit me as burdensome. So I said to M James my roommate "you know when I was in my thirties I was so full of vision that walking on the UCLA campus I thought I could turn the whole world to Jesus. But as Grew old I lost vision. Even as I am here looking at the African mission field I lost conviction for the Bible Africa and the world campus mission."  In this way I became a source of curse to James. But this morning I woke up at 5:00 am went out to a solitary place and c prayed. Then I recovered jesus my head. Instantly tiredness was gone. Joy filled my heart. 

Heavenly Father thank you for the blessed call to Preach the Word! Please help me to hold onto  this call despite all of my limitations! One word: preach the Word

We closed the testimony sharing with pastor Kevin praying.

Sunday worship
Jesus' Early Morning Prayer 
Mark 1:21-45
By Missionary Timothy Chung

Jesus drove out demons. Jesus healed Perer's mother of fever. During evening many brought the sick. That night Jesus must have been tired. The next morning without an alarming clock Jesus woke up early next morning. Jesus went out ro a solitary place. There he prayed for God's wisom love and power to help the helpless. Psalm 5:1-3 

If Jesus prayed how much should we?!

There are obstacles to prayer. One is doubt! He found it hard to find a space for Taekwondo. But when he kept praying the Lord granted him a nice place near the college campus. 

There are many problems these days. 

Botswana is a good country. School tuition is free. Wifi is free at the school dorm. College graduates can find jobs. There are 10 churches near the Taekwon club. But AIDS is raging in Africa. His family came to Cameroon 2004. Then his family moved to Botswana. May the Lord bless us to serve the African people with the early morning prayer.

Hymn - Tell it to Jesus Alone
Offering - Cbf special song

Dr Abraham Kim made an announcement: thank God - 1) for Daniel Rhee and his wife having served more than 20 years; 2) Moses Yoon replacing him; 3) Isaac H Kim continues to sercing as the US representative for Africa.

When we have God's Word with it through prayer the Lord empowers us to emvangelize Africa! 

Special prayers for Sudan and S. Sudan. 
European and CIS summer bible comference in the latter part of August and the International Leadership Conference among continental directors.


No comments: