Saturday, August 25, 2012

Why Nigeria Has a Hope (Life testimony of brother Duke of Yabatech, Nigeria)




[Grammatical errors are original]

YOU WILL BE A BLESSING

Key verse: Genesis 12:1-2
The Lord had said to Abram, live your country, our people and your father’s household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you.

My name is Duke Akpophlen Ekokota, I hail from Ughelli North LGA, Delta State Nigeria. I am from a chronic polygamous family. Where my mum happens to be the third wife out of the five wives my dad married, and 2 concubines. My father was a native doctor and herbalist. My mum had four children for another man before meeting my dad, so I am the first child my mum had for my dad out of seven of us. Three months after I was born, I was poisoned and it lasted for twelve good years. In the mist of that illness, I was attacked with hunchback by my dad second wife, When my dad realized that it was too much for him to handle, he ran to small gods, and bought a wooden gods for me to save me. However, this illness lasted for 12 years. i was always in pain. I fainted several times. I was called all sorts of names. MIWHUMIWHU, 419, THIEF, etc. Then, I wish I could just die. I started my primary school with struggles and I ended it same. My up bringing and my primary school was nothing to write home about because of my illness and the struggle to heal me. My secondary school was the same, Except that I was cured from my illness at 12years old when I was in Jss2.

There was no sin I didn’t commit. I can’t count them, but I will try to name some. spying women from the bathroom, masturbation. Ritual was an everyday thing in my dad shrine. I even drank animal’s blood. I sold my self to gods at the rate of #2500, with alcohol drink and cola nut. My dad even planned that I will take over his priestly shrine. Hence he trained me accordingly.
I got admission in Yabatech in 2002. During my ND 2, I accepted Jesus in CU and did my first baptism even though I did not make up my mind to leave my old ways of life. I kept my old practice.
I was invited by Brother Stanley to fellowship. I started from Daniel’s team. I was very serious and faithful for Bible study, Testimony writing & sharing and Sunday service. By December 2003 I attended my first conference were I met God personally. I wrote my first life testimony and I received Gods word from Gen12:1-2. Then I choose to serve God and pray to be a source of blessing. After my National Diploma, I was asked to stay in Tent. Life in Tent was sweet and also filled with many challenges. After my IT, I travelled home. I tried letting my parent know that I’m now a new person, they were furious and said that I shouldn’t go back to Lagos, that I should continue my education in PTI Warri.
I started and finished my university BSC without any support from my parent because they were angry with my decision to come back to Lagos. I had to do all types of workAt times, I had to borrow money from my brethren to complete my school fees. Some times, in other to make more money, I cheat people when I work for them. I even cheat and rub God to save more money. Instead of depending on God, I depended on my physical strength and I lost focus. I became frustrated and went shepherd back to my old. This went on and on. I wrote my life testimony again in a conference and repented.

As I grow in UBF, I was raise as a fellowship leader in Centurion fellowship and God used me to raise leaders like sh. Austin, Bro Samuel , shepherdess Ese , brother Emmanuel, Elijah, and many other brothers and sisters. I thank God who used me as a shepherd on campus.
Before I finished my school, there was great conflict between my will, my family, and God. My shepherd’s prayer for me is to be a full time shepherd while I had my plan to do business through IT. It was some how hard to decide. But I received John 21:22 Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." and decided to live as a full time sh.

Immediately I finished school, I started my fulltime shepherd training. During the cause of my training, shepherdess Ese was introduce to me to marry by faith. When we got home for our marriage preparations, there was disapproval here and there. But after many prayers, God had his way and surprise us in a way that we can not forget. God blessed me massively to establish a beautiful house church on April 30th 2011.

I’m serving the national youth service in Nasarawa state. On my way to camp, I had a serious accident that the vehicle stumbled, but I wasn’t hurt at all while others were taken to the hospital. When I went to Nasarawa state as a copper, I realized that the people there needed a shepherd. God used me to lead the morning devotion and had Bible study. When they have problems they came to me for advise and prayer. God has shown me the need of shepherd. May God raise many leaders who can take care of people with God’s love and truth.
I thank God for his grace of salvation and calling to serve the campus young souls. Now, when I look back, I see that God saved me because of the plans he has for me to be a source of blessing in my generation. God promised me that if I obey him he will make me a source of blessing. I pray to love God with all my heart and obey his calling. May God use me as a shepherd in Nigeria.

One word: You will be a blessing.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: