Saturday, August 29, 2015

The Faith of God

Launching pad for a Zip Line at the Pinecrest


That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his descendants—not only to the adherents of the law but also to those who share the faith of Abraham, for he is the father of us all... Romans 4:16

From August 18 to 26 I and Rebekah visited Vietnam. We came back home on August 27. After a few hours of sleep in Redding, the next morning we flew down to LAX via San Francisco Airport, to attend the LA UBF Summer Bible Conference.

The conference took place at the Pinecrest Presbyterian Christian Conference Center in Big Bear Mountain.

Pinecrest added an archery

I was sick with stomach flu, so I could not attend the first night evening service. Apparently Robert Fishman served a message, "You will be a blessing" Genesis 12:1-9.

Lying in bed sick, I meditated on the Bible passage.

One word, "God's faith" came to mind. It deeply moved my heart. The days of Abram were wicked, so wicked that the Lord God had to wipe out through the Flood all peoples on earth except Noah's family. But the problem of idol worship did not go away, but only mushroomed. Joshua 24:2

Apparently Abraham's father Terah talked with Noah and Noah's son Shem. Abraham knew Shem 150 years. Noah died 2 years before Abraham was born. Isaac knew Shem 50 years. (Source: Agape Bible Study at http://www.agapebiblestudy.com/charts/Generations%20Adam-Moses.htm) In other words Abraham is in the line of believing family. Yet how come did he too worship idols? Too sad!

Yet, in faith God visited Abram and called him with the promise of blessing: I will make you into a great nation; I will bless you; I will make your name great!; You will be a blessing; all peoples on earth will be blessed through you!

If you are unsure you do not use the word 'will', but with absolute faith God said, "I will" repeatedly.

Abram at the time of God's calling, Abram had every reason to regard himself as hopeless. For one thing he was 75 years old. He was childless. Perhaps his health also started deteriorating.

Yet, God called him out with a great promise: I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you."

When I put myself in Abram's position, I doubt whether or not the promise of such great blessings would come true of me. But when I thought about God who believed in what he was saying, faith arose within me, so I too could believe.

I think when this great calling came upon Abram first, he too must have doubted. But I am confident that Abram too was moved by God's faith, so he too believed. Thus he left and go. And as he went along, he built an altar to God and called on the name of the Lord.

The same promise is guaranteed to all who share the faith of Abraham. Thank and praise be to the Lord who had absolute faith in Him that he gave us wonderful promises believing that we too would believe in Him, that all who put trust in Him and his promises would see the promises becoming a reality in each of us beginning here and now! Amen! 

No comments: