Sunday, September 18, 2016

Graves of Craving (Kibroth Hattaavah)

Therefore the place was named Kibroth Hattaavah because there they buried the people who had craved other food. Numbers 11:34

In reading Numbers 11 today's daily bread (dtd 9/18/16) I was reminded of why Jesus said what he said, that is, 

- I am the Bread of Life
- I am real food/drink (whoever drinks of me will never go thirsty)
- Man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God

The Israelites (some of them) who came out of Egypt and journeyed to the Promised Land had a second thought, so as they craved 'other' food (than 'manna') they ended up going down to the grave. So they were buried in a desert land, so they called the place "Kibroth Hattaavah". 

The episode involving Kibroth Hattaavah took place about 14 centuries before Christ. An article the Record Searchlight carried on this morning's edition, entitled "drugmakers fight state opioid limits amid crisis" (see below a feature photo and note in pink) testifies that people in the 21st Century still repeat the same: they crave "other" food only to be buried in the Kibroth Httaavah.  



(This undated photo provided by Jennifer Weiss-Burke on Sept. 12, 2016 shows her and her son, Cameron Weiss. Weiss-Burke said his descent into drug addiction started with an opioid prescription a doctor wrote for him for a wrestling injury. After his death from a heroin overdose in 2011, Weiss-Burke pushed for a bill limiting initial prescriptions of opioid painkillers for acute pain to seven days. The bill exempted people with chronic pain, but opponents still fought back, with lobbyists for the pharmaceutical industry quietly mobilizing in increased numbers to quash the measure. (Courtesy Jennifer Weiss-Burke via AP) 

For full article click "Pain-killers".

Not all drugs are bad: at the desktop where I am writing this blog has plastic bottles like: ABC Plus Multi, Sundown Naturals High Potency Vitamin C 1000 MG, Finest Joint Health Glucosamine MSM, Puritan Pride Senior Eye Vision 200 Rapid Release Capsules, Absorbable Calcium 1200mg Plus...

But the point remains the same: man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.

The expression "every word" sounds overwhelming for there are 66 books of the Bible - 39 old, 27 new. But God made it handy by putting all of them into one bottle called "Jesus"(which I like to call "the Living Bread Multi Vitamine Package"). Still one of the best feature of this "food" (real drink, real food) is that it is all 'for free'. You do not need doctors' prescription. You do not need Medical or Medicare. All you need is your courage (or 'faith' if you will) to go for it.

[Song to sing for today - He Lives In My Heart] - video

Lyric: (In singing a song/hymn, it is important to sing thinking about the meaning of the song/lyric, as Martin Luther always warned his congregation that one should not be enticed by the melody alone but the mediating, being conscious of the message of hymnal.)

I serve a risen Saviour, He's in the world today
I know that He is living, whatever men may say
I see His hand of mercy, I hear His voice of cheer
And just the time I need Him He's always near
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Salvation to impart
You ask me how I know He lives?
He lives within my heart
In all the world around me I see His loving care
And though my heart grows weary I never will despair
I know that He is leading, through all the stormy blast
The day of His appearing will come at last
He lives (He lives), He lives (He lives), Christ Jesus lives today
He walks with me and talks with me
Along life's narrow way
He


No comments: