Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Why did Jesus say, "Love your enemy"?


A month ago I moved from LA to Redding.

To lighten the moving truck, I gave away a number of stuff including desks. So I needed to buy a desk. To buy one I checked here and there in Redding stores and the ones I liked were not affordable. They were way too expensive.

Then at one of the thrifty stores I found an old desk. Price tag - $65! After a 10% senior discount it came out a little below $60. Plus I liked the desk for the tag says, "Mission Style Desk!"

On coming home, I called out to Rebekah, "Look, come out here and see what I've got. Finally I found a nice desk. It is a real antique. I know you will like it!"

Rebekah came out from the kitchen, took a look at the desk and said, "Oh, my goodness. It is a piece of junk! How much did you pay?"
"$60!" 

"What?" She screamed. "Even if someone gave it for free, I would not get it. You know I throw away junks." 


Immediately the word of God came to me: "Love your enemy!"

Then why did Jesus say "Love your enemy"? The answer is found in the very nature of God, that is, "God is good and good all the time." When God provides you with a spouse who is even your enemy, God does so still meaning all that are good for you. 

In what respect is this so? I think it is found in the meaning of the word "help-meet" in KJV (or "suitable helper" in NIV), for according to the Torah Study for Reform Jews, ezer kenegdo in Hebrew means a "helper against him." 

Rashi, a Jewish commentator,  takes the term literally to make a wonderful point: "If he [Adam] is worthy, [she will be] a help [ezer]. If he is not worthy [she will be] against him [kenegdo] for strife."

I came to thank the Lord for providing me with a wife who is different than I, that I would be complete with her not being the same but the opposite!

Afterthought:

To throw away, not to throw away, that is the question.

My answer then is, "Do not throw away; keep it."

Once upon a time Martin Luther said, "If I were God, I would destroy the people of the world ten times a day, for they are so wicked." 

In considering myself [and fellow human beings], I realize it is purely because of God's love that I am who I am, for despite myself operating as His enemy, still he sent His Son even to die for me! Why then does he choose to love me, even an enemy? He did it because I am so valuable for him even as I am!



No comments: